Skip to main content

Amanda's surgery update: A roller coster of complications

One day I feel I’m on top of the world
And the next it’s falling in on me
I can get back on
I can get back on
One day I feel I’m ahead of the wheel
And the next it’s rolling over me
I can get back on
I can get back on
- Rush, "Far Cry"

A rough week got a whole lot rougher.

"From an oncological standpoint, it was successful," said Dr. Akira Sugimoto after Amanda's surgery.

She was in the operating room for about eight hours. The first two were spent trying to get her hooked up to the required anesthetic, including an epidural line for pain relief. That was the first difficulty, but wouldn't be the last.

It was a long wait as we stood by at the hospital for any word on how things were going.

Dr. Sugimoto, appearing to have done a whole lot of work, told us that he removed all the cancer he was after. That was the big good news.

He also took out a kidney. That was fine -- that was expected.

He also took out about a foot of bowel. That's a big piece. He put the two ends back together as best as he could, but warned that there was a risk of an anastomotic leak. He said several factors added up to there being about a 10x risk of the connection failing. The term was new to me, so I looked it up. What I saw scared me -- having your guts burst open inside your belly appeared to be bad, bad, bad news. Like, DO NOT WANT, often fatal, bad bad bad. It immediately became the complication I feared the most.

Amanda struggled with pain control, despite having the lab-generated equivalent to heroin injected straight into her spine. Eventually they got things on track, and the only big problem was having her nod off mid-word due to all the drugs. But if she was getting better, that was a small price to pay. I've been telling her that her only job is to get better, anyway. Don't try to be smart or productive.

Things went off the rails on Wednesday morning.

The one and only time Gordon snuggled briefly with mommy at the hospital.

Amanda's been through some bad pain during this journey. The worst, she's told me, was when chemotherapy juice was pumped into her fatty tissue in a botched attempt at intraperitoneal chemo. It caused her internal chemical burns and sounded impossibly dreadful.

So, when the nurses here in London asked her to rate her pain on Wednesday, 1/10 being no pain and 10/10 being "the worst pain you could imagine" -- and she said it was a 10 -- I knew something bad was happening.

I was taking Gordon in for a visit and got a phone call from Amanda, crying, saying the doctor was coming for an emergency meeting. There was fecal matter in her surgical drain. Her sisters and mom were also on their way.

Dr. Sugimoto confirmed that the bowel splice had broken and feces were now filling her abdomen. She'd need emergency surgery. NOW.

Gordon went home with Amanda's sister, Amy. I stayed with Amanda's mom, Barb, at the hospital as they wheeled her down to the operating room to do a colostomy.

It took more than four hours. She was given a hole in her belly (a stoma) where a bag will be attached. Dr. S. told me he washed out her belly and stitched her up....partially. Apparently the risk of infection is so high, they don't want to seal it all in and have it get nasty. He explained it's better to pack the wound with gauze, let the body attack the filthy bits and turn it into goop, then take out the gauze a few days later and finish the stitch-up. Ouch.

Hours later, Amanda was taken back to her room. Same room, same flowers from friends and loved ones, same pillow, same bowl of ice chips on the table. But things were different, for sure. I ended up leaving around 3am.

Since then, pain control has been a roller-coaster. Last night, she wavered between nodding off from the drugs and crying in agony. It's so hard to watch. I'm helpless. She's hurting. Neither of us can really be sweet and loving and our best selves -- she's in agony/dopey, so I can't blame her if she's snippy with me for not knowing exactly how she's going to want her pillows placed as armrests. I'm exhausted and emotionally somethingsomethingsomething and haven't the slightest clue how I can be anything but present and attentive.

And Gordon. Poor Gordon won't snuggle with mommy. He's been so understanding but I know this is getting to him. He misses mommy but, hey, at just under three years old, how can he possibly process feeling sad, lonely, scared, and maybe even angry that mommy's not there? He's been sometimes polite, sometimes potato-sack-level defiant, sometimes crying, sometimes exactly the stellar little boy I love so dearly.

Speaking of which ... I have to go pick him up from daycare right now. I missed work yesterday but worked a full day today. The day's done. Time to get back to my "real world."


  1. Wow Scott. I'M sorry to hear about all the complications. I hope she starts to feel better soon.

  2. Wow Scott. I'M sorry to hear about all the complications. I hope she starts to feel better soon.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today was my last day at work, and I'm okay with that

Today marks a weird spot on the calendar for me. It’s one of those landmarks that really doesn’t mean anything, other than to illustrate the weirdness of time and how we feel it. As of today, my son Gordon has been without his mother longer than he was with her. The length of time Amanda has been gone is now longer than the length of time we were a family of three. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like it’s been that long, but that dangblasted calendar tells me it’s almost three years. I have not said a word about it to G, but tonight, for the first time in a long time, he pulled out the Missing Mummy book for bedtime. Today was my last day in broadcasting for a while, as far as I can tell. I spent the past five years as Program Director at Newstalk 1290 CJBK in London, Ontario. And in recent years, I was also the noon-hour show host, afternoon news anchor, a commercial voice guy, TV news promo voice guy, and more. Also in the past five years, I’ve bought a house, endured renovation

A request, as we reach two years

Wow, long time no write. I didn't enjoy this past winter. I was certainly in a long slump. Things were very challenging at work. Gordon was awesome, as always, but I was just in a sustained funk from last summer on. And I'm not sure I'm all the way out of it yet. I'm still largely in quiet hermit mode, but have been making progress at resuming social contact. Little dude and I have a very busy summer that will go by in a flash. This Thursday will mark two years since Amanda died. I still replay the events of that night in my head almost every day. I'd like to not. Sometimes it feels like forever ago, but sometimes I'm right there all over again. Hey, can I ask for your help with something? Two years ago, so many wonderful people told me that if there was anything they could do to help .... Well, I don't ask often. And I should've asked more. And I should ask more even now. I'm still not comfortable asking. But I'm asking for this. I put

Hard to believe it's been a year - but it has

One year ago today, we lost Amanda. Time plays tricks on all of us. We can think "that was so long ago" at the same time as "it feels like yesterday." I run into this all the time with Amanda's death. Yes, it feels like just yesterday, or last night, or later today, that Amanda collapsed in the kitchen and died after that long, brutal battle with ovarian cancer. But every day has ticked by at a pace like any other, and it's been a whole year of those days, with incremental and sometimes revolutionary change. As I move about our home, it's hard to fathom that she's been gone a whole year. Amanda's garden awakens, early Spring 2017. Many of the decorative items she carefully arranged throughout the house are in the exact same place as the last time she touched them. She had the vision, not me, so I've been reluctant to disturb her decisions on what looks good and works. In other places, I'm reminded that it's been at least