Skip to main content

Eventful week: Sold house, new job, new surgery

Wow, what a week.

As discussed here, Amanda and I are heading to London, Ontario to be near family and pursue treatment. We know ovarian cancer will end her life, and we want to be around the greatest support. Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto also has more clinical trials available in the event the current trial proves unsuccessful in holding back the growth of her tumors.

Just a few of the improvements visible from outside.
Our realtor came on the long weekend to take pictures of the house. It was listed on Monday. Monday night, the agent called to say we had a viewing scheduled for Tuesday morning. We reviewed an offer on Tuesday evening and wrote up a counter. Before we even got to bed, the buyer agreed to terms and we had a deal. Now it's down to conditions and we head toward a closing date near the end of May.

Yes, the house sold in one day. There wasn't even time to put a sign on the lawn.

We were afraid of a long process, as we'd bought the least expensive house on the street and listed it five years later as the most expensive house on the street. The house across the street sat on the market for months.

It looks like all the hard work we put into improving the home has paid off. Really, aside from the downstairs bathroom, every room in the house has undergone significant improvements since we moved in. We put a lot of love into this place. Amanda had the vision. We both did the work. It finally got to a point where the home had become what we'd hoped for -- and now it's sold.

Now comes the part where we have to pack, buy a new house and get two adults, a baby, two cats, houseplants and all our stuff across the country without anything or anything getting lost or broken. I honestly can't wrap my head around how we're going to get all that done in just a few weeks.

Going to Ontario means I also had to find work.

I've spent twenty years with Rogers Broadcasting -- 12 in Toronto at 680News and eight here in Halifax at News95.7. Rogers has been good to me, and I've been good to Rogers. I've had the opportunity to explore the medium. I've learned so much. Two decades is a long time, so I was reluctant to leave. Unfortunately, Rogers does not have a lot of radio properties in London. There wasn't anything for me to do, so I had to look elsewhere.

At the same time, an opening was posted at the Bell Media news-talk station, NewsTalk 1290 CJBK. They were looking for a Program Director. People who know me professionally encouraged me to pursue it. I knew it would be a challenge, but I've reached a point in my career where big challenges were becoming fewer. I applied, interviewed, and this week we agreed on terms. So, I'll be the new PD at CJBK in London.

I'm looking forward to meeting the team and learning all about what makes each of the hosts go, so we can all work together to drive the station's success. News-Talk radio is one of the remaining shining spots on the radio dial, and it's going to be exciting to work with another group of smart, talented people who want a big audience.

I start at CJBK on May 19. My last day on air in Halifax will be in early May.

Then my car started stinking like gasoline and making crunching noises, so I had to take it into the shop. It needs a new gas tank, left front wheel bearing, belts.... $1200. BAH. It's going to take several days.

Amanda had a minor surgery yesterday to help her get chemotherapy with less difficulty. Her veins are messed up from all the chemo last year, and now she's in for up to three doses in a week on the current clinical trial. They've had to poke her up to three or four times to find a usable vein. Yesterday she had a port-a-cath implanted near her collarbone. One end has a reservoir that's buried in the chest muscle. That feeds a catheter that's threaded nearly all the way to her heart. So, instead of digging around for a vein in her arm, they'll numb the skin with some cream and jab the port-a-cath to deliver the drugs. That should save wear and tear on her arms.

Also this week, I learned that the Twin City Wrestling TV series I produced for Eastlink will be airing starting May 22. Very exciting, but I won't be here to see it! Details on the Halifax Wrestling blog.

So, in one week: Listed a house, sold a house; Got a brand new job, resigned from a place I've been for 20 years; Amanda has multiple doses of chemotherapy, Amanda has surgery to implant a device in her body; My car betrays me and forces me to take the bus in the rain.

Can't win 'em all, but I'd say we had an above-average week overall. The disturbing thing is that our life has been so crazy for so long that this almost feels normal. It's not.

There's so much "good news" in this that I'd love to tell you that we cracked the champagne, yelled and whooped and yee-hawed. Actually, we hugged and cried. This is not "climbing the house ladder" or "moving up the corporate food chain" at all. This is having to leave the place we love because someone is terminally ill.

As happy as some of these developments are, I feel like there's little room for joy. There's satisfaction and relief. My eyes are misty as I write this, because this is all a bunch of change we didn't seek.

I'm glad it's turning out well. I just wish it didn't have to happen. I miss our boring life.

Remember the Ancient Chinese Curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Thanks, everyone.


  1. Just remember that everything happens for a reason and sometimes miracles can happen....there is always a measure of hope. I wish the best to you and yours.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A request, as we reach two years

Wow, long time no write.

I didn't enjoy this past winter. I was certainly in a long slump. Things were very challenging at work. Gordon was awesome, as always, but I was just in a sustained funk from last summer on. And I'm not sure I'm all the way out of it yet. I'm still largely in quiet hermit mode, but have been making progress at resuming social contact. Little dude and I have a very busy summer that will go by in a flash.

This Thursday will mark two years since Amanda died. I still replay the events of that night in my head almost every day. I'd like to not. Sometimes it feels like forever ago, but sometimes I'm right there all over again.

Hey, can I ask for your help with something?

Two years ago, so many wonderful people told me that if there was anything they could do to help .... Well, I don't ask often. And I should've asked more. And I should ask more even now. I'm still not comfortable asking. But I'm asking for this.

I put out a vi…

Amanda's cancer has returned, just months after treatment

It's been two and a half months since the last update on this blog, and I was hoping to write one soon with lots of good news.

I was going to write about our recent trip to Jamaica, where we got to go snorkeling, bake in the sun and meet nice people from around Canada and the USA.
I was going to write about how Gordon is now 11 months old and exceeding all our hopes. He's a little dynamo who's not that little -- out of 100 babies his age, no normal one would be bigger. He's spectacular and we love him to bits.

I was going to write about putting the finishing touches on the Twin City Wrestling TV show that I've been working on for the past several months. It's just about ready to be sent in to the broadcaster, and it looks great.
I was going to write about the Canadian Cancer Society using our story in a very moving fundraising letter for their winter campaign in Nova Scotia.
I was going to write about Amanda's trip to Toronto to learn about how Prince Marga…

Meh. Extended Meh.

I haven't posted here in quite a while. There are a few things I haven't done in quite a while. For a while, I've been kind of meh.

In late August, Gordon and I went for the long-awaited trip to Nova Scotia. It was an epic journey, three years in the making. We visited places he'd only heard about. We spent time with friends he hadn't seen in more than a year. We took Amanda's ashes back to the ocean as she requested.

We were there for a week and were on the move almost every day. We put 1000 km on the rental car in between flying there and flying back.

It was excellent, but it was also exhausting. And I found myself different in the weeks after.

Before, I was going out. I was being social. I was busy and optimistic.

After, I seemed to drop contact with almost everyone. I thought I was just tired, then I thought I'd shifted into some different gear of creativity or contemplation. But the months have worn on and I'm still not quite back to where I was. I…